Friday, February 26, 2010

Speed Up that Metabolism!

I don't know about you, but I have a sloooooowww metabolism!  I always knew you could increase your metabolism by exercising - your metabolic rate is usually higher for a full 24 hours after a good workout - but I didn't realize there were other ways to increase it until I saw this article on the Women's Health website! I thought I would share it for those of you who, like me, want to learn different ways to boost that metabolism. 

The article goes into greater detail, but here is the short list of ways to increase your metabolism:
1) Eat (a good) breakfast. Every. Single. Day.
2) Sip caffeinated coffee
3) Drink cold water
4) Eat a protein-packed lunch
5) Consume green tea
6) Get enough calcium
7) Buy Organic produce
8) Add spices to your food
9) Be sure to eat foods high in iron (some good ones are Total cereal, beans, spinach or   broccoli)
10) Incorporate interval training into your exercise routine

11) Do slow repetitions when strength training
12) Take fish-oil supplements
13) Eat fish! Fi
sh like salmon, tuna, and sardines are loaded with hunger-quashing omega-3 fatty acids
14) Limit alcohol intake

15) Get enough sleep

I'd recommend reading the full article if you want to learn the reasons behind the recommendations.  I found it to be interesting!


One of the areas in which I could definitely improve is eating breakfast earlier in the morning. I am usually not hungry until 3 or 4 hours after I wake up, but I am going to get in the habit of at least having a small snack bright and early. 
I also need to be getting more sleep.  Studies have shown that when you don’t get enough sleep, the body produces less of a hormone called leptin that curbs appetite, and more of a hormone called ghrelin that stimulates the appetite.  I totally notice that some days I am a lot hungrier than others, and it's often after nights of not enough ZzZzZ's.

Here's to lightning speed metabolisms!

No comments:

Post a Comment