Many of you probably already know that I LOVE to bake! I have recently begun expanding my baking repertoire beyond the basic chocolate chip cookie and a couple months ago decided to make cake pops for my little sister's 20th birthday. I got the idea from my cousin but soon realized they were all the rave on baking blogs. These little treats are the perfect party accessory--whether it's an adult get-together or your little cousin's birthday party.
I recommend using the below recipe.
Cake Ball Mix:
*1 box of your favorite cake mix (I used a Betty Crocker Vanilla mix)
*8 ounces cream cheese, softened
*2 cups confectioner's sugar
*4 tablespoons butter
*1 tablespoon milk (or more, as necessary)
*2 cups confectioner's sugar
*4 tablespoons butter
*1 tablespoon milk (or more, as necessary)
Bake the cake and let it cool completely (preferably overnight). When it is completely cool, break the cake into a large bowl. Crumble it with forks or your fingers until it is in fine crumbs.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and milk together until smooth. Pour into the cake crumbs and mix with a spoon. Then continue mixing with your fingers, kneading and mixing until fully incorporated into the cake (this can get messy! You might want to use gloves). When the mix is completely done, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
*Some recipes I found suggest using a can of frosting instead of the cream cheese mixture, however I found the frosting to be way too sweet and too moist.
Making Cake Pops
What you need*Lollipop sticks (found at Michael's or other craft stores)
*Candy Melts (I used the Wilton brand, found at Michael's)
*Colored sugars, candies, and other decorative sprinkles
*1 piece of Styrofoam
Prepare two large baking sheets. Take a bit of the cake mixture and roll it into a smooth ball. Place the lollipop sticks in the center of each ball pointing upward. Repeat until you've used up all the mixture. As each sheet fills up, put it in the freezer so that the balls harden.
I melted the candy chips in the microwave following the directions on the back of the package. You can also use a double boiler if you prefer. After melting, stir well. Dip each ball into the chocolate until covered.
Dip in sugar, coconut, sprinkles, or anything else you'd like! I then stuck the lollipop sticks into Styrofoam so they could dry frosting side up. If you don't have Styrofoam you
can place the cake pops frosting side down on the cookie pan, they will just lose some of their shape. Don't refrigerate these; it will cause the coating to melt. They can be frozen, however. ENJOY! :)


These are looking delish...
ReplyDeleteYUM!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize they required no baking! OMG I want to try now!
ReplyDelete